Aids and Adaptations

If you are elderly, disabled or simply need some extra support there are a range of aids and adaptations available to our general needs residents living in our self-contained accommodation.

Minor works:

  • Small wooden grab rails (e.g. in a bedroom or hallway.)
  • Small plastic grab rails (e.g. for bathrooms.)
  • Small metal handrails (e.g. for outside areas.)
  • Adapting taps (e.g. lever taps for hand basin or baths.)

Major works:

  • Level access showers.
  • Non-slip flooring for showers.
  • Ceiling track hoists.
  • Large ramps and handrails.

Who qualifies?

Sapphire Independent Housing will consider requests for aids and adaptations from the resident/s named on the tenancy agreement. The work requested must be for use by the resident/s who is a permanent resident at the property.

How to request aids and adaptations

You must first contact your local social services office (at your local council) who will arrange for an occupational therapist to assess your need and refer your case to us. If you are unsure how to do this please contact your Housing Officer or email us at

Who pays?

Sapphire Independent Housing will pay for minor works (like the ones listed above.) For major adaptations you must contact your local support services as stated above.

If you have any queries please contact your Housing Officer or email us at